Friday 1 May 2015

From #GW2 to other things

Having (temporarily?) slipped the yoke of Guild Wars 2 I find myself with an abundance of time to do other things.

My Guild Wars 2 break wasn't an entirely concious choice.  About two months ago I tweeted this:
Since then I have done some stuff but mainly I have logged in for my reward, gathered in my home instance, confirmed that my items still haven't sold on the TP and logged off again. I can't remember the last time I went to a guild event.  I think it might have been a PvP night.

I have some idea of the reasons for my loss of interest.  I suspect the change of seasons has a lot to do with it. I've also been much busier with work and home life. Getting my 10k chest really did close a loop for me and, looking back, obtaining it had been a major motivator. I think the biggest issue, though, is Heart of Thorns.  The more we hear, the more we know that it's going to fundamentally change the game and in some unexpected ways.  In principle, I'm cool with that.  Whether I like where the game ends up in practice is another thing.  Knowing that, I'm not about to invest much more time in pre-expansion GW2.  In my opinion, this is the big danger of announcing an expansion too early.

Financially, and in terms of bank assets, I'm sitting pretty for what ever changes HoT brings. I'm not going to make any big investments in anything as we have almost no idea how the market is going to react come release.  Although it's fair to say that an influx of new players will spike material prices and that will have a knock on effect.

Most importantly my characters are exactly where I want them to be. I have been dissatisfied with my norn Necromancer for almost as long as I can remember.  The size of the model shattered the illusion of detail in most of the armour skins and, well, he looked like he was wearing a dressing gown (bath robe) most of the time.

I resolved that with the spoils from my 10k chest, buying an Identity Repair Kit and assuming the name, gender and appearance of my norn Elementalist (who was deleted having been birthday scrolled to 20 and used as a bank). Behold my Necro reborn:

Tore was immediately reincarnated as a Warrior, with the exact same appearance and name.
This solved my "which race to make my warrior" conundrum but left me an Elementalist short.  However, I'd long since decided that a male sylvari was the perfect choice for that. I don't have any good shots of him at the moment, though!

So, that's where I pretty much left off in Guild Wars 2.  Now, onto other things.



No comments:

Post a Comment